On January 10th, Pegasystems announced the winners of their first annual partner awards.
Here are the categories and recipients:
- Excellence in Enterprise Solutions – Accenture
- Excellence in Customer Centricity – Capgemini
- Excellence in Business Transformation – Cognizant
- Excellence in Practice Development – Cognizant
- Excellence in Solution Development – Infosys
- Excellence for Country Reseller – Lanit
- Excellence in Thought Leadership – Mahindra Satyam
- Excellence in Market Development – Tata Consultancy Services
- Excellence in Solution Delivery – Virtusa
I only clicked through to the press release to see the types of businesses that won the awards and I was disappointed by what I found. The winner circle is dominiated by the biggest players in the IT services area. Lanit was the only business not immediately familiar.
I understand the tendency of all large businesses to focus on partners that ‘can move the needle’ – that are big enough to close business and bring customers that will move their quarterly earnings call.
The award winners are certain able to deliver big clients but a vibrant partner ecosystem is more than the big fish. It also needs to include the niche players, specialists and local heros. I wish that some categories were chosen to recognize these types of the businesses as well.
Don’t believe me? Look at this image from the pegasystem’s website:
Everyone who won an award is a Platinum Partner except Virtusa and Lanit and one of them is a Gold Partner. Moreover, EVERY Platinum Partner except IBM won an award.
The small partners are the ones that will deliver the smaller businesses and grow with them for you. They are the ones that will take an untraditional view of your technology and open a new market. They don’t have A-list clients so they might be that little bit more aggressive or flexible about winning a new deal. Given all that, some smaller partners probably also deserve some recognition at your annual awards ceremony.